Hair color maintenance can be a tricky devil when it comes to your day to day routines. With a few tips we can help you maintain your color’s brilliance without throwing off your routine!
How to Maintain Your Color-Treated Hair post salon visit:
- After coloring, wait a full 72 hours before shampooing. To help your color stay, much like getting a perm, waiting 2 days after your color service can help your color last longer!
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. Sulfate-free shampoos have less stripping additives and surfactants that can strip your hair of natural oils and non-natural colors/dyes.
- Add dye to your conditioner. At The Root Salon we have color additives for your shampoos or conditioners that can help maintain your color’s brightness or tone between services.)
- Turn down water temperature when shampooing. Cooler water temperatures will help keep the cuticle of the hair shaft closed, keeping your color intact, especially with reds or copper colors.
- Wash your hair less often. Less washes can help with natural sebum/oil loss and also lessen the dulling of your color.
- On off days, use dry shampoo. When in doubt, use a dry shampoo in between washes to help maintain those bright blondes and keep your color from fading after going from light to dark, or even to keep your reds brilliant and salon fresh!
- Use leave-in treatments to protect hair color when styling. Leave-in conditioners or pre-stylers can help keep your color bright when using hot tools or even right before your next salon visit)